Can I Study Childcare Course for FREE? Know About Government Funding Option! - ICV
International College of Victoria
Can I Study Childcare Course for FREE? Know About Government Funding Option!

Even though working in the childcare industry can be very rewarding, studying for a new career can be expensive and demanding.

The good news is that there are several childcare courses available to study in Australia for free owing to kind government funding programmes. International College of Victoria is one such training institute that provides childcare courses at 0* tuition fees for eligible domestic students.

Here’s how you can study free childcare courses and how the International College of Victoria can help you with government funding!

Under the Skill’s First Initiative, a free government programme, the International College of Victoria offers two main courses in the childcare sector:

CHC30121 – Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care

CHC50121- Diploma in Early Childhood Education and Care

These childcare courses present the responsibilities of early childhood educators who work in Australia’s registered childcare facilities. They help in the growth and well-being of kids within the framework of a recognised educational framework.

Skill’s First Initiative for Early Childhood Education Training

A wonderful government-funded option to get fresh skills in the childcare sector is the Skill’s First Initiative by the Victorian Government. It seeks to make government-funded training for courses in growing industries accessible to qualified Victorian students of all ages.

Through the Skills First programme, eligible domestic students can enrol in courses at Skilled Up that are funded by the Victorian and Commonwealth governments, significantly reducing the cost of their education.

This means that if you enrol in these childcare courses through the International College of Victoria, you can get a Certificate III or Diploma level qualification for a far lower price.

What Qualifications are Required to Work in the Early Childhood Industry?

Specific qualifications obtained through study with a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) are required for childcare jobs. Your training will provide you with the abilities and information necessary for the position, improving your chances of landing one.

Roles in the childcare business can be very diverse, ranging from working in a nursery or kindergarten to providing at-home support. Here is a list of common childcare job positions along with the minimum qualification requirements for each.

  • Early Childhood Educator/ Worker

Early childhood educators observe, provide care, and foster a child’s development in the early years in a variety of public and private settings. Australia has a high demand for childcare educators, and industry forecasts point to significant growth over the next five years. 

You must meet the following requirements as a minimum to work with children:

  • Early Childhood Teacher

In order to organise and deliver care and early learning education to children of pre-primary school age, early childhood teachers collaborate closely with centre administration. They begin adopting skills related to numeracy, literacy, and other fundamental disciplines since they are informed about how young people develop.

Over the past five years, this role has seen a significant increase in employment, and this trend is expected to continue.

You need to finish either of the following qualifications to be a certified early childhood teacher:

  • Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood)
  • Bachelor of Teaching (Early Childhood)

  • Childcare Centre Manager


A childcare centre manager is in charge of a kindergarten or family daycare centre. They are in authority of the centre’s basic administrative and financial processes, reporting directly to the centre’s owners or general managers. They frequently head a team of carers and educators and are in charge of all developmental and educational programmes for young children.

The following qualifications are necessary to work as a childcare centre manager:

CHC50121- Diploma in Early Childhood Education and Care

  • Nanny

A nanny looks after children, generally at the customer’s home, and may offer housekeeping, cooking, errands, and homework aid. 

While a formal qualification is not required to begin working as a nanny, a Certificate III course is recommended, such as:

CHC30121- Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care 

How Do I Know If I Am Eligible For These Free Government-Funding Childcare Courses?

To be eligible for Skill’s First government-funded training beginning from January 1, 2023, you must meet the following requirements:

  • Citizenship

You need to be:

  • An Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident, or a New Zealand citizen.
  • When participating in evaluations and training sessions, you must be physically present in Victoria.
  • Course Restrictions

Skills First Initiative is limited to:

  • Two courses at a time
  • Two courses in a year.

On a Final Note,

Vocational government-funded training courses are seriously important in Australia’s education and work sector. They will be preparing students for their job in a short amount of time and at a minimal cost. Because the courses are practical, students are able to start working immediately after completing them.

These diploma and certificate childcare courses are fully devoted to a single vocation and are not academic in nature. Most classes are hands-on training based rather than academic, allowing you to rapidly become a specialist in the childcare industry!